Movement via Midi

This section allows you to ask questions about LumiDesk's products.
Konken

Movement via Midi

Post by Konken »

Maybye I'm missing something, but my question is as follows. If I set up a fixture patch with let say 6 moving heads and assign values to the X and Y axis using knobs on a midi keyboard. How do I make them move independently. If I select just one of them , then all of them moves. This can't be right. If one is selected all other functions is just for the selected one , except the movement. On let say a ordinary desk, you can select one or multippel fixtures and move them to a position. On lumidesk you select one and all the fixtures moves. What am I doing wrong here ?
lumidesk
Administrateur du site

Re: Movement via Midi

Post by lumidesk »

Hello, you need to select fixture bu fixture and assign the Midi to XY to each fixture, then when you want to control the fixture you will need to make sure to select on the desktop only the one you want to control, or you will have a multiselection and you will control all with only one MIDI action
Thanks
Julien CHEVALIER
LumiDesk Manager

Konken

Post by Konken »

Ok, thx for the answer. I pretty sure I tested that as well. Is there a possibility that it's actually the 3d visualizer that is showing this wrong ? I don't have moving heads lying around at my home ,so I can't test this.
lumidesk
Administrateur du site

Post by lumidesk »

To make sure you can just check the DMX Levels
Julien CHEVALIER
LumiDesk Manager

Konken

Post by Konken »

Now I have tested it and it does not work. It does not matter if the fixture is selected or not. It still sends midi and I have checked on the dmx level. It sends out midi to all fixtures that have the same midi assignment. Of course it works if I assign different midi for each fixture regarding the pan and tilt, but then I need a lot of buttons............So if there is a setting or something I am missing ? or else maybye there is a glitch in the program ?
lumidesk
Administrateur du site

Post by lumidesk »

you need to assign different MIDI Channels, I can see if we can improve that
Thanks
Julien CHEVALIER
LumiDesk Manager

Konken

Post by Konken »

Hi Julien and thx for the answer. So if I understood you right, then we need different midi params for movement for each fixture ? If this is so and as you suggested, this is something that have to be improved as far as I can see. If I use a lot of moving heads then it would be impossible to keep track of wich knob is controlling what. Personally I would prefer to use the same knobs ( values ) for all fixtures with movement parameters. I looked at the Elation Midicon and the Enttec product line, all of the with midi "wheels" ( Rotary Encoders) that would be perfect for pan and tilt functions. But then then actual selection on the screen have to block the midi going to other fixtures on the screen. I actual thought this was the case and for me now it's actual no possible way that I can use this live. Have to rely on "old big hardware :( " . Hope you find a solution for this and keep up the good work.
Konken

Post by Konken »

Hi, just wondered if there is any progress with this issue ? or is this something I have to wait for and not expect to see solved in any near future. I can't see that this should be a big issue to fix, since it's only a matter of blocking fixtures not selected on screen. Actually I think this should be a standard function and I really thought it was. This would simplify the programming a lot when working with movers and scanners. Hope you can give me a time estimate. When this is implemented then I feel confident enough to use this software in conjuction with hardware and totally replace a "traditional" console. Except for maybye more universes ( art net ? )implementation. Just ordred a Midi con, but then again this will not work in the matter that I would prefer. Keep on working ;)