Fade IN/ Fade Out problem

This section allows you to ask questions about LumiDesk's products.
KevinBenstead

Fade IN/ Fade Out problem

Post by KevinBenstead »

I'm using the generic RGBW fixture.

On this fixture there are 4 DMX channels.

Channel 1 is RED
Channel 2 is Green
Channel 3 is BLUE
Channel 4 is WHITE

When I fade in / out of a sequence (set Using Auto Fade In/ Fade Out on right click menu for the sequence in Live mode) the RGB channels behave as expected (fade up to setting over time selected, fade down to 0 over time selected) BUT the WHITE channel just jumps up to the programmed value at the beginning of the fade in stays up at the value until the end of the fade out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
--------------------------------
Kevin Benstead
Technical Lead
Windlesham Drama Group
CMBDJ

Re: Fade IN/ Fade Out problem

Post by CMBDJ »

Casey Brown
Tyler Uplights / CMB Music Productions
Lumidesk Dealer
http://www.tyleruplights.com
KevinBenstead

Re: Fade IN/ Fade Out problem

Post by KevinBenstead »

Hi

Sorry for delay in getting back to you we've just finished a run of "Calendar Girls" to packed houses.

Anyway

I had a look at the thread mentioned above. It covers various issues with Fade In / Fade Out but doesn't cover the issue that the "white" channel of the RGBW led jumps to vales at start of fade IN. Then during a fade out (either using the fade out timer on a sequence OR fade in timer on the next sequence) stays there until the end of the fade and jumps to 0

I've set up a very simple test which will demonstrate the issue. Try it and see.

My patch has a single Generic RGBW fixture at address 1.
I have a single Cue in the Cue List
I have three Sequences in the Cue all three Sequences have a single scene with fade & hold time set to 0. Sequences are set to Always Loop
Sequence 1, Scene 1 RGB & W values all set to 0
Sequence 2, Scene 1 RGB & W values all set to 255
Sequence 3, Scene 1 RGB & W values all set to 0

I then go to the live desktop.
Set the fade in time on both sequence 2 and 3 to 2 seconds and set the Cue to Release mode so that only 1 sequence can be active at a time.

Then open the DMX levels window. So you can see what is happening.

Select Sequence 1. the levels are all at 0
Select sequence 2. Channels 1, 2 & 5 fade up to 255 over a couple of seconds. Channel 4 just jumps up to 252 (I don't seem to be able to get it to 255)
Select Sequence 3. Channels 1, 2 & 3 fade down to 0 but channel 4 stays at 252 until the end of the fade and jumps down to 0.

Interestingly if I now select sequence 2 again (from sequence 3) the sequence 2 button blinks as if the lights are fading but the WHITE channel jumps straight to 252 and the others stay at 0 until the end of the fader and jump to 255.

I also have some Stairville 252 bar LEDs that use 11 channels. One of the channels is used to set the operating mode of the light and obviously for this the value of this channel needs to stay constant during a fade. This is happening correctly.

SO I wonder if the mechanism that is used to determine if the channel should fade or jump to it's required value is somehow not working correctly for the white channel on the RGBW light.

Also I was wondering why the White channel on the light has an "Enable" button which has to be clicked before I can use the fader to set the value I want. Surely just a fader would do the job.
--------------------------------
Kevin Benstead
Technical Lead
Windlesham Drama Group