Flicker issue

This section allows you to ask questions about LumiDesk's products.
MacGyverguy

Flicker issue

Post by MacGyverguy »

I'm about at my wits end trying to find the cause to a random flicker that my lighting setup is having. What happens is randomly some LED lights will strobe/change color/go off and the moving lights will move randomly just for a split second and then everything goes back to how it should be. It doesn't matter if it's a stagnant scene or a chase, it's completely random. It may not happen for hours or may happen every couple minutes.

My current setup is 24 LED lights, 6 dimmer packs, and 4 moving lights. Running LumiDesk Ultimate on 1 Universe with 1 Input Universe connected to a small 6 channel light board. Using wireless DMX via the Sirs-e system (not the icicle units but the silver box type) with one transmitter and 4 receivers to permit faster setup and mobility. I have been using LumiDesk with this setup for almost 4 years and just upgraded to the Ultimate version from Nano this past spring (added the wireless DMX at the same time). I am running the current (June 14, 2013) version on a new Windows 8 laptop.

I've changed everything I can think of and this issue persists; tried 3 different laptops (used Windows XP, Vista, and now Windows 8), changed all cables to DMX, added wireless DMX to take out the long chains/break things up (flicker happens at the same time at all the wireless receivers), upgraded to LumiDesk Ultimate, disconnected the small light board that was on the Input, moved the dongle away from the wireless DMX transmitter, used a power conditioner at the laptop/transmitter plug-ins... The only thing left is the show file I have been building on since the beginning. Could my show file have a bug or something that has been carried through all the version upgrades that is messing with it?

Any ideas would be welcomed at this point. Thanks!
lumidesk.forum

Re: Flicker issue

Post by lumidesk.forum »

Hello can you send me your show file at [email protected]
Thanks
MacGyverguy

Re: Flicker issue

Post by MacGyverguy »

So following up with the solution: I finally eliminated every possiblity and narrowed down that the cause was my LumiDeskUltimate Interface. I didn't realize that LumiDesk has a warrenty on all their items, but when I contacted them and told them the problem they were quick to help via the warrenty coverage. They sent me a loaner interface and I sent mine to them so they could check it out. The loaner ended up having the same problem, so they sent me a brand new version of the Ultimate Interface which eliminated my flicker issue. Awesome customer service experince! :D

BTW, I figured out through all this that I had numerous bad cables that were causing flicker issues with my old Nano Interface and when I changed out the cables, I changed to the faulty Ulitmate Interface at the same time. So it looked like the problem was remaining, but I just inserted a new cause. Lesson learned, check your connections for improper insulating and seperation between exposed wires.