led color mixing via dmx in fader

This section allows you to ask questions about LumiDesk's products.
Braknugs

led color mixing via dmx in fader

Post by Braknugs »

I am not sure if this is possible in Lumidesk but, I would like to be able to mix color from my led cans live via faders from my dmx in. I have my dmx board hooked up and working. However the software only recognizes newest value. I want to be able to push up a fader for red and a fader for blue and make purple (as a basic example) I would also like to mix together more elaborate scenes like reds and blues in one scene on a fader and ambers and green on another fader to make variant shades of orange and aqua. Am I missing a setting or trick or does the software not do this?
thank you for your help
Aaron
lumidesk.support

Re: led color mixing via dmx in fader

Post by lumidesk.support »

Hello,

To answer the first part of your question, yes you can control the RGB channels with DMX in using faders. However the second part you cannot do you can only control Red, Green, Blue.

To do this please refer to the manual.

https://www.lumidesk.com/manuals/#/en/l ... x-in-links

https://www.lumidesk.com/manuals/#/en/l ... erses-mode

https://www.lumidesk.com/manuals/#/en/l ... x-in-patch
Braknugs

Post by Braknugs »

Hello,
I already had my color wheel linked to my dmx (red + blue = purple was a bad example on my part) but I want better looks than 1 solid color lol, and I want to mix my colors live so that my stage breaths with the music. I recently purchased several led cans that have RGBAWUv (slim par pro H) and its more channels (6 or 12) than my little board can handle is there anyway such a feature could be added? I work mostly with jam bands and preprogramming is not an option. And not only do I not want hard and sharp color changes all the time I also need to be able to vary the length of my changes on the fly as well as the color combos. I can make 12 faders be well over a hundred different scenes/colors combos if I could mix them live. I think this would be a VERY useful feature and I know other Lds that would love it.
Thanks for your help and happy holidays
Aaron
lumidesk.support

If I am understanding correctly you can do this if you assign a fader to each channel. You can also achieve this using the live action button feature.

https://www.lumidesk.com/manuals/#/en/l ... nd-presets
Braknugs

Post by Braknugs »

Hello,
What I am trying to do is mix like this......
(a programed color scene of) Red blue red blue red blue red blue (cue 1 scene 1, on fader 1)
(a programed color scene of) Green red green red green red green red (cue 2 scene 1, on fader 2)
I want to be able to push up faders 1 and 2 and get yellow purple yellow purple yellow purple yellow purple. and I need to do it on the fly, I work with jam bands and can't preprogram my color changes. As an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLB9Yx8Wn1A Look at how the colors breath with the music, I play my board like an instrument all of those changes were done live by hand, all that was programed before was color combos that I then mixed live.
I want to add two scenes together via 2 faders for lack of better phrasing.
I've been told Lumidesk does not have this capability, I am asking if can be added.
Thank you so much for your help
lumidesk.support

I do not believe this will be possible. The problem is that you cannot tell the same address to do two things at once. There is a way to do this but not with our software.
Braknugs

Post by Braknugs »

Hello,
I understand what your saying, with moving heads you can't have 2 commands for a wheel or a motor, your totally right. But with led cans and bars you can, worst case scenario is everything is white lol. It's not telling the same address to do more than one thing, each color has its own channel. And from a programming point of view what I need could be accomplished by using the highest value not the newest value. The video I link in my last response was done with a simple chauvet stage designer 50, that does it fine. Also I know other software can do it, I have ran a friends rig that runs chamsys magicQ, that does it (it's buried way down in some settings) but I'm not a huge fan of their software and their hardware is very expensive. One final thought for this post, Lumidesk kind of already does it...... My led par cans (Chauvet slim par pro H) have R, G, B, A, W, UV leds. When I have a scene on with them that only contains RGB and I activate another scene with only RGB the new one takes over, BUT if I activate Amber, White, or UV it adds them to the scene not shuts of the RGB scene off.
Thanks for the help
Aaron
lumidesk.support

This is correct the software can active a sequence and if you activate another it will trump the previous one. If you deactivate the last sequence it will go back to the first. Also yes if you have fixtures with more channels or separate channels than RGB you can activate them separately.
Braknugs

Post by Braknugs »

Great, now that we're on the same page, can the RGB wheel/channels be programed for highest value instead of newest? Or even have a setting letting user decide which way to set it? Or can someone explain to me why I can add amber white and uv to a rgb scene but not another rgb?
Thanks and have a happy new year!!
Aaron
lumidesk.support

Happy New Years!

The reason you can add other channels to RGB is because those channels are not in use. When you are telling the three channels (RGB) to turn on by assigning them a color those channels are being affected. When you turn on an amber channel that would be the fourth channel which is off. So you can activate this no problem. But as I said if you tell the RGBs which are already in use to do something else they will do the latest assigned command. As I said before you can stack the RGB but the latest command will always take president. You cannot give two commands to the same channel at the same time. Our software does not have the capability to mix two RGB commands on the same channels at the same time.
Braknugs

Post by Braknugs »

Hello,
I understand what you're saying, I would like to take a different approach... can a RGB wheel be programmed to accept highest value? Maybe just a option to use when bulding my own fixture profile? I've seen a lot of features added to lumidesk over the years this would be the best yet, it would take full advantage of the dmx in feature. Color mixing with newest value looks terrible (in my humble opinion) preprograming fade times limits options and just doesn't work for all kinds of music.

I really like Lumidesk and I really appreciate your help here, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm beating the proverbial dead horse lol. This is how I do my whole show, and what makes my light show look different, it's what pays my rent.
Thanks again
Aaron
lumidesk.support

No, as of right now, there is no highest takes priority feature available.