Fixture modes

This section allows you to ask questions about LumiDesk's products.
tubaguy50035

Fixture modes

Post by tubaguy50035 »

I just bought two colorstrips and have Lumidesk Ultimate. I know the colorstrips are extremely difficult to program due to their several modes. But is there any way the software can be changed so that in the Desktop programming mode I can change modes of a profile on the fly? I would assume that scenes and cues are stored with DMX values, so it shouldn't matter if the mode changes from one scene to the next (hopefully). Please let me know if this is possible. If not, I may have to find a new DMX control program.
lumidesk
Administrateur du site

Re: Fixture modes

Post by lumidesk »

Hello, you cannot change on the fly. You can select the mode during the patch.
Why would you want to change the mode on the fly? please can you tell me, maybe the solution would be to do different shows.

Thanks
Julien CHEVALIER
LumiDesk Manager

tubaguy50035

Post by tubaguy50035 »

Well, the colorstrip has several different modes. All of which I may want to use in one show. Being able to select different modes during programming would make programming something like the colorstrip a lot easier.
lumidesk
Administrateur du site

Post by lumidesk »

The main problem is the number of channel that the fixture use, we cannot change that dynamically. Can you show me the difference between the modes please
Thanks
Julien CHEVALIER
LumiDesk Manager

tubaguy50035

Post by tubaguy50035 »

The number of channels assigned to (at least with the colorstrip) never changes. Some channels don't get used with some modes though.
Here's the image from the manual:
CMBDJ

Post by CMBDJ »

Changing the mode will still require you to change the mode on the fixture yes?
Casey Brown
Tyler Uplights / CMB Music Productions
Lumidesk Dealer
http://www.tyleruplights.com
tubaguy50035

Post by tubaguy50035 »

I don't understand your question. I don't want to have to change the mode in the patch panel. I want to do it in the desktop mode. As that picture demonstrates, the colorstrip's modes are set via a dmx value on the first channel.
CMBDJ

Post by CMBDJ »

tubaguy50035 wrote:I don't understand your question. I don't want to have to change the mode in the patch panel. I want to do it in the desktop mode. As that picture demonstrates, the colorstrip's modes are set via a dmx value on the first channel.
Right but if a fixture has multiple modes, you have to tell the fixture which mode to be in. So i you want it to be set to mode 3, every fixture I've had has a menu option to set the mode you want to use on the fixture. But you still have to match up the profile you patch in your software to what the fixture is set for. Otherwise the dmx values the fixture thinks it needs to use, don't match up with the profile mode you're using. I'm saying that even if you could change the mode on the fly, you'd still have to change the mode setting on the fixture.
Casey Brown
Lumidesk Dealer
tubaguy50035

Post by tubaguy50035 »

Nope. Open up lumidesk and find the colorstrip (just "colorstrip") under Chauvet. If you patch that, you'll see a panel with static colors, color changes, color chases, and some other stuff. That's channel one for the fixture which is telling it what to do (if you look at the picture I posted above). All that profile gives options for is the color mixing mode which is a very small portion of what the colorstrip can do. Now, the profile colorstip (4 modes) is perfect. BUT I can't change the modes while programming. The different modes give different screens for the various options such as flash speed. If you only have one mode open, say the color mixing mode, then the red value is the flash speed. It doesn't make sense. The colorstrip's "mode" is solely based on what is sent to it via channel one.

So I guess I'm either looking to be able to change modes in the desktop or have multiple selectors for the same channel (such as red value AND fade speed AND run speed being on channel 2), all open at the same time. Different modes would make it a lot cleaner looking though.
CMBDJ

Post by CMBDJ »

Ok well I don't guess I get it. Never seen a fixture like that. Sounds like the only solution is to patch each mode, and assign them to a different desktop to seperate them.
Casey Brown
Lumidesk Dealer
tubaguy50035

Post by tubaguy50035 »

? They all use the same DMX channels... So you're not understanding what I'm saying. If you look at the picture in my third post, you'll see the "modes" I'm talking about. I don't know how else to describe it other than I have already stated. I understand the colorstrips are a special circumstance but for mobile DJs I feel like the colorstrip is becoming more and more common. Can I import different modes of the same profile on the same dmx channels? I think the answer is no, so I'd like to be able to change the mode of the fixture (as long as the number of dmx channels doesn't change) in the desktop. Open up Lumidesk and play with the colorstrip 4 modes profile. Look at the picture I posted and you'll see what I mean. You either get color-mixing, the built in programs, etc... but never all of them. Which is what I want. Like I said, I have no other way to describe it. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then open the profile and look at it.
CMBDJ

Post by CMBDJ »

tubaguy50035 wrote:? They all use the same DMX channels... So you're not understanding what I'm saying. If you look at the picture in my third post, you'll see the "modes" I'm talking about. I don't know how else to describe it other than I have already stated. I understand the colorstrips are a special circumstance but for mobile DJs I feel like the colorstrip is becoming more and more common. Can I import different modes of the same profile on the same dmx channels? I think the answer is no, so I'd like to be able to change the mode of the fixture (as long as the number of dmx channels doesn't change) in the desktop. Open up Lumidesk and play with the colorstrip 4 modes profile. Look at the picture I posted and you'll see what I mean. You either get color-mixing, the built in programs, etc... but never all of them. Which is what I want. Like I said, I have no other way to describe it. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then open the profile and look at it.

I understand how the profile is built, just not why. As I said, I've never seen a fixture put together that way. You're right. the dmx channels would have to be the same, and the software won't allow that. So I guess your back to having multiple shows for the different modes. Maybe call Chauvet and ask them how control is usually achieved for this fixture. How is it setup for show express or other software packages.

OR, use a different profile for the fixture. There are a few others to choose from. OR, create your own profile with everything and no modes.
Casey Brown
Lumidesk Dealer
tubaguy50035

Post by tubaguy50035 »

I wish I could make a new profile in scan library. But I cannot. The software does not allow me to have a RGB color selector across channels 2,3, and 4, and then add a fade speed on channel 2, etc. I will talk to some people and see how they are doing it.
tubaguy50035

Post by tubaguy50035 »

I downloaded show xpress just to see if programming the colorstrip using that was any easier... it's not. If there's nothing we can do, then I guess I'll just deal with it. I don't know that there are any other fixtures that have this same oddity. I'm going to skype with someone later this evening that will show me how they use it in show xpress so I can see if there's an easy way to clean up the programming for this.
CMBDJ

Post by CMBDJ »

tubaguy50035 wrote:I downloaded show xpress just to see if programming the colorstrip using that was any easier... it's not. If there's nothing we can do, then I guess I'll just deal with it. I don't know that there are any other fixtures that have this same oddity. I'm going to skype with someone later this evening that will show me how they use it in show xpress so I can see if there's an easy way to clean up the programming for this.
If anything, call chauvet and ask them how the hell you're supposed to prograam the light with dmx traits like that?!?!?
Casey Brown
Lumidesk Dealer
tubaguy50035

Post by tubaguy50035 »

Yeah, it's totally the fixture. People are returning these left and right. So my apologies for making this a huge deal.